C.A.I.R.O.

F.I.R.E.I.N.C.A.I.R.O.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Jordan

Roomie Shane and I spent the weekend and a lot of money in Jordan this weekend. It was a good time.

Highlights of the three-day stay included: floating in the Dead Sea with Jordanian peasants, scaling rose coloured rocks at the lost ancient city of Petra (which ranks among the coolest things of all times), talking politics and crimes of passion with Cheryl and decoding bourgeous menu choices at a stylish, fusion/meat-market restaurant in Amman.

Lowlights include spotting locals hauling the body out of a crumpled car at the bottom of a rock-strewn gorge, the hideous exchange rate for the Egyptian pound and the 28-hour travel time it took to get from Cairo to Amman.

Pics courtesy of Shane McNeil. His blog link is to your left. Check it, yo.


"I'm King of the World!" Shane before his iff-fated attempt at rock climbing

Dead Head: another sunny afternoon at the world's lowest point
I've always been a floater ...
The lost city of Petra, as seen by its entrance -- a red-rock gorge called the Siq
Lean on me: I got 99 lower back problems



Looking out into the abyss

PETRA! NOT JUST A CHRISTIAN ROCK BAND!


Here's a photo of Shane, myself and our friend Cheryl (who acted as tour guide, soothsayer and travel consultant) enjoying some libations at a smokey bar in Amman. About 30 minutes later (at 11:30 p.m.) the bar cleared out so all the Jordanian girls could be home for curfew. Drinkus Interuptus was the order of the night, apparently.

4 Comments:

Blogger miss vanilli said...

Everything looks so breathtaking. I imagine it was well worth the travel time.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

CAN we go to petra? If i was petra I'd play a massive show there, complete with marshall's stack. or marshall stacks? In any event, let's go.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

You best be coming back to the city on seven hills sometime soon.
There are more haughty-taughty restaurants to visit and plenty of local Amstels to be enjoyed :)

Thanks for the visit...

12:55 PM  
Blogger Liivi said...

 dude, you look like you're in heaven, or in a philidelphia cream cheese commercial.

i do have a blog after all, started in nov, for now it will remain in isolation.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home