C.A.I.R.O.

F.I.R.E.I.N.C.A.I.R.O.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Exposions/Egypto Techno


Explosions have been going off all around Cairo for the past few days. Everytime I try and drift off to sleep, "BANG! BANG! BANG!" and then I hear shouting and more banging.

Most disturbingly, most of these explosions are caused by children...some as young as five or six years old.

Okay, enough with the theatrics: the explosions are little firecrackers set off during the feast of Eid, which marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan.

Thank Gad, too. Ramadan was really starting to drag-on-a-dam.

Well, as anyone who knows me knows, I just love German techno. And rejoice...the week here started with a bright bit of news. The legendary (in some circles) minimal-dub-clicky-experimental DJ, artiste, innovator and all round Germanic hero Thomas Brinkmann is coming to Cairo for not one, but TWO shows in a couple of weeks.

However, given that big room trance and banging progressive house still get more play in Cairo than Fonzie at a sorority house, it'll be interesting to see who actually shows up to see Brinkmann drop his clicks and cuts.

Nonetheless, it should be fun, and at the least, um, "stimulating."

In other music news, I've seen some pretty hot shows here over the past few weeks. I really enjoyed a show by the gifted, Spanish, medieval crew Music Angtigua (read my review here .) Imagine the soundtrack to one of Sting's sex parties and you'll get an idea of what this sounded like...

Other highlights over the past few weeks include Eskenderella, who are basically like the Constantines of Cairo...the only diffrenece being they play ouds (lutes) instead of guitars and Eskenderella haven't slept with all my female friends. No yet, anyways.

In other news, I guess the Justice/Headbangers juggernaut is really taking America by storm...

2 Comments:

Blogger miss vanilli said...

I read your review, and that group sounds quite good. That "Console Me At Dawn Girls" song seems like it'd be particularly dope.

1:34 AM  
Blogger Hadeel said...

JERED - CALL US. YOUR FRICKIN PHONE ISNT WORKING. I WANT TO EAT; LET'S GO.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home