C.A.I.R.O.

F.I.R.E.I.N.C.A.I.R.O.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Heart's Filthy Lesson



Since my late teens, the cool thing to do was to diss Valentines Day as a Hallmark (ugh!) of corporate opportunism.
In fact, most of my Valentines Days have been horrid: the best being 2001, when I spent the entire day composing an ear-scorching techno tune called Rushin' DF.
Since then, every day has been worse, culminating in a debacle last year that was embarrassing and pointless. Part of the reason for these disastrous days was a defeatist mindset.
This year, I'm taking a different tune. Fuck it. I'm sick of the post-modern, anti-establishment, nihilist, "buy nothing day" rhetoric that's dominated my mind set for the past decade. Time for a fresh start.

In Egypt, everybody celebrates Valentines Day, regardless of whether you've got a special friend or not.

Even single men cherish it.

A co-worker (we'll call him Mahmoud) just told me that one of his male cousins once gave him a red rose and a card with teddybears and hearts on it, simply as an expression of friendship.

So, give a friend a hug. Have a pint of pink beer. Do something. But don't pout.

5 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

Yes, my brotehr! YES! Couldn't agree more. ps- I love you and cherish our friendship.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's your valentine's dink slap, Jez.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

boroat-style "NAWWT!"

8:56 AM  
Blogger Liivi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:17 AM  
Blogger miss vanilli said...

Pink beer? Is there such a thing? Don't tell me I missed out on pink beer...

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home